Not to be reserved for America, this seasonal drink actually originated in 14th century England drink called posset. This recipe is creamy, sweet, and full of holiday cheer. Recipe from Meredith Steel via Jamie Oliver.
Less than 30 mins
10 to 30 mins
For the salsa
- 3 cups (700ml) whole milk
- 1 cup (240ml) heavy or double cream
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 vanilla bean pod, split and seeds removed
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg, plus more for garnish
- 5 eggs, separated
- 2/3 (130g) cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (175ml) Bacardi Dark Rum, or bourbon
- In a saucepan, combine milk, cream, cinnamon, vanilla bean, vanilla seeds, and nutmeg. Bring to the boil over a medium heat. Once boiling, remove from the heat and allow to steep.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, beat egg yolks and sugar until combined and thick ribbons form when the whisk is lifted.
- Slowly whisk in the milk and continue to mix until the mixture is combined and smooth. Add bourbon or rum, and stir.
- Before serving, beat the egg whites in a large bowl or stand mixer until soft peaks form. Gently fold into eggnog until combined. Serve and garnish with freshly grated nutmeg.
Can refrigerate overnight or for up to 3 days.