Delicious homemade lemon curd is quick and easy, this recipe from BBC Food Recipes is mouthwatering and a real hit with fans of our eggs.
“Wow! Just made a new batch of lemon curd using your eggs. What a difference.!! Beautiful deep yellow colour, rich, velvety taste, just fabulous. I won’t be going back to using “ordinary” eggs.”
Laid With Love egg customer.
10 to 30 mins
Makes one 500g/1lb 2oz (large) jar or two 250g/9oz (small) jars
- 4 unwaxed lemons, zest and juice
- 200g/7oz unrefined caster sugar
- 100g/3½oz unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 3 free-range eggs, plus 1 free-range egg yolk
- Put the lemon zest and juice, the sugar and the butter into a heatproof bowl. Sit the bowl over a pan of gently simmering water, making sure the water is not touching the bottom of the bowl. Stir the mixture every now and again until all of the butter has melted.
- Lightly whisk the eggs and egg yolk and stir them into the lemon mixture. Whisk until all of the ingredients are well combined, then leave to cook for 10-13 minutes, stirring every now and again, until the mixture is creamy and thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove the lemon curd from the heat and set aside to cool, stirring occasionally as it cools. Once cooled, spoon the lemon curd into sterilised jars and seal. Keep in the fridge until ready to use.
- To sterilise jars, wash the jars in very hot, soapy water or put through the hot cycle of a dishwasher. Place the jars onto a baking tray and slide into an oven set to 160C/325F/Gas 3 for 10-15 minutes.