Judith’s Mince Pies
This pastry is so rich and crumbly and makes the most melt in the mouth mince pies. Our friend Judith gave us the recipe – her mince pies are award-winning and she kindly shared her pastry recipe – add an egg to it if you like!
TIP: Let the pastry rest in the fridge overnight then work it in the morning for best texture. It’s not an easy task – but worth it.
Prep Time: 15 minutes (with a mixer)
Cooking time: 10 – 15 minutes
For the pastry:
- 12oz salted butter
- 1 free-range egg (medium) -optional
- 2 heaped tablespoons icing sugar
- 1lb plain flour
- Pinch of salt (optional)
For the filing
- 1 jar mincemeat
- Egg and milk wash – (to stick lids on and glaze top
- For the pastry add all ingredients to a mixer and blend until all ingredients are mixed together.
- Let the pastry rest overnight if possible – or keep very cold before rolling out
- Roll pastry out and use a cutter to create pie bases and lids.
- Fill a non-stick bun tray (or mini muffin tray) with bases
- Add filling, then brush edges of pastry with egg wash
- Top with a lid and press down. Brush the top with egg wash
- Insert a hole or design to allow steam out
- Bake in an oven 190 degrees for 10-15 minutes.
- When cooled, remove from tin and dust with icing sugar