As the seasons are changing who doesn’t like to get cosy with a warm cup of tea and a nice biscuit in front of the nations favourite baking programme Great British Bake Off. These Gingerbread Men are perfect for Autumn with warming spices and can be decorated as elaborately as you wish. Recipe via BBC Food.
Makes: 20 Gingerbread Men
Preparation time: 30 min to 1 hour
Baking time: 10 to 30 min
350g/12oz plain flour, plus extra for rolling out
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
175g/6oz light soft brown sugar
1 free-range egg
4 tbsp golden syrup
- Sift together the flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger and cinnamon and pour into the bowl of a food processor. Add the butter and blend until the mix looks like breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar.
- Lightly beat the egg and golden syrup together, add to the food processor and pulse until the mixture clumps together. Tip the dough out, knead briefly until smooth, wrap in clingfim and leave to chill in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Line two baking trays with greaseproof paper.
- Roll the dough out to a 0.5cm/¼in thickness on a lightly floured surface. Using cutters, cut out the gingerbread men shapes and place on the baking tray, leaving a gap between them.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until lightly golden-brown. Leave on the tray for 10 minutes and then move to a wire rack to finish cooling. When cooled decorate with the writing icing and cake decorations.
Our eggs are from the Lake District so why not try this tradition local gingerbread variation Cumbrian Grasmere Gingerbread biscuits.