For the meringue
75g Chopped roasted Hazelnuts
4 large free range egg whites
200g Castor Sugar
Pinch of Cream of Tartar
1 lemon finely grated
200ml Raspberries (drain any juice)
Castor Sugar to taste
350ml Double Cream
25g chocolate finely grated (you can use a Flake)
25g Icing Sugar (sifted)
2 baking sheets lined with greaseproof/silicone paper
- Switch oven on to gas 2, 150 C or 300F
- Whip egg white until stiff
- Add 1 tablespoon castor sugar and cream of tartar and whisk for 1 minute.
- Fold in the remaining sugar and hazelnuts
- Divide the mixture between two baking sheets and spread carefully into two 20 cm diameter circles.
- Bake for 1 hour or until the paper peels away from the bottom.
- Puree the drained raspberries and mix with lemon rind.
- Sweeten to taste.
- Whisk the cream until stiff. Put 1/3 into a piping bag and fold the remaining 2/3’s into the raspberry puree and use to fill the meringues.
- Pipe the remaining cream on top and dust with icing sugar and sprinkle with the grated chocolate.