- 225g (8 oz) self-raising flour
- 1 level teaspoon baking powder
- 225g (8 oz) caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 150g (5 oz) butter, melted
- 350g (12 oz) cooking apples, peeled and cored
- 25g (1 oz) flaked almonds
Preheat the oven to 160ºC/Fan 140ºC/Gas 3.
Lightly grease a deep 20cm (8in) loose-bottomed cake tin.
Measure the flour, baking powder, sugar, eggs, almond extract and melted butter into a bowl. Mix well until blended then beat for a minute.
Spread half this mixture into the prepared tin. Thickly slice the apples and lay on top of the mixture in the tin, piling mostly towards the centre. Using 2 dessertspoons, roughly spoon the remaining mixture over the apples.
This is an awkward thing to do, but just make sure that the mixture covers the centre well as it will spread out in the oven. Sprinkle with the flaked almonds then bake in the preheated oven for 1¼–1½ hours until golden and coming away from the sides of the tin.