Adding beetroot to a chocolate cake recipe makes it wonderfully fudgy and moist. (Possibly a tiny bit healthy, too!) This recipe comes from Jill Duplexi on the Saturday Kitchen.
- 75g/2½oz cocoa powder or powdered drinking chocolate
- 180g/6½oz plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 250g/8½oz caster sugar
- 250g/8½oz cooked beetroot
- 3 large eggs
- 200ml/7fl oz corn oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 180C/355F/Gas 4. Arrange paper muffin cases in a 12-mould muffin tin.
- Sift the cocoa powder, flour and baking powder into a bowl. Mix in the sugar, and set aside.
- Purée the beetroot in a food processor. Add the eggs, one at a time, then add the vanilla and oil and blend until smooth.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients, add the beetroot mixture and lightly mix. Pour into the muffin cases.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the top is firm when pressed with a finger.
- Cool on a wire rack and dust with icing sugar to serve.